How’d I Do in January?

Okay, okay, okay. It’s only February and I’m already behind on my January goals. But I do have good reasons.

First, let’s grade my progress. Here are the goals I set for myself for each month:

  • Processing one document/source per week (if not more) into my RootsMagic database. I got off to a good start the first week of January and added several items to RM. So, if you take the average, yes, I did add what comes out to one document per week.
  • Writing at least one blog post per week. I only posted a few times in January. Explanation on why below.
  • Reading one genealogy book per month. I read several chapters in a book on archival preservation, but didn’t quite make it all the way through. Not the book’s fault — I am taking the blame on this one. I need to really set aside more time for reading.
  • Exploring one new technology per month. I actually have this one covered! More on that below.
  • And taking one genealogy-related trip every two months. I didn’t go anywhere in January. We’ll have to see what February holds.

On to my excuses (I think they’re pretty good, actually):

1) I was without my laptop for two weeks — I dropped it off with a local company to be suped up with a new hard drive, operating system, Parallels, and to have my old hard drive turned into an external drive. Could I have done all this myself? Probably. But it would have taken me even longer and no guarantee that everything would be working right. Unfortunately, the guy assigned to work on my computer caught the flu and was out for several days. That and waiting for parts to arrive meant a lengthy delay before I got my computer back. I relied on my iPad in the interim, but I really don’t like blogging on it. The good news is I have the laptop back now and it’s super-fast and up-to-date.

2) I started a new job. I’ve been getting used to a new routine and schedule and my personal genealogy projects have been on the back burner since the middle of the month as a result.

3) I picked up new client genealogy work. For the better part of a week, when I got home from the day job, I was on the clock for a client. This left little time to work on my own genealogy. The good news is that the client wants me to do more work on the project and I had a couple more inquiries from other potential clients as well. The bad news? I will still be delaying work on my own genealogy into February, which will probably mean I won’t be posting much new material on the blog.

Now, for the new technology tool that I learned about this month. I needed to create multi-page PDFs for my client research project. You can do this in a program like Adobe Acrobat, but I found out about a different, free way to do so (as long as you have a Mac). You can use the Automator tool to create a script that will string together individual PDFs into one larger file. Read more about how to do it here.

Let’s see how I do in February!

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s